Thyme-Braised Brussels Sprouts
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Brussels sprouts braised in broth and thyme is a surprisingly simple preparation that yields rich and savory results.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or “no-chicken” broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until the shallots are starting to brown and the Brussels sprouts are browned in spots, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in broth, thyme, salt and pepper; cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until the Brussels sprouts are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Per serving: 88 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 311 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- September/October 2010