Thyme-Braised Brussels Sprouts
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Brussels sprouts braised in broth and thyme is a surprisingly simple preparation that yields rich and savory results.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or “no-chicken” broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until the shallots are starting to brown and the Brussels sprouts are browned in spots, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in broth, thyme, salt and pepper; cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until the Brussels sprouts are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Per serving: 88 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 311 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- September/October 2010