This three-bean salad has far less sugar than typical versions. We opt for a combination of canned and frozen beans (for convenience) along with fresh green beans for their great taste and texture.
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas , or chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen baby lima beans , or shelled edamame
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Fill a large bowl half full with ice water and place next to the stove.
- Meanwhile, whisk cider vinegar, rice vinegar, sugar, mustard, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until blended. Add onion and black-eyed peas (or chickpeas); toss to coat.
- Cook lima beans (or edamame) in the boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh in the ice water. Pat dry and add to the bowl.
- Cook green beans in the boiling water until just tender, 3 to 6 minutes. Drain and refresh in the ice water. Pat dry and add to the salad along with parsley; toss well.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cook lima beans and green beans (see Steps 3-4 for timing) and refrigerate separately. Toss the salad components with the dressing just before serving.
Per serving: 109 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 6 g fiber; 322 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (23% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient