This three-bean salad has far less sugar than typical versions. We opt for a combination of canned and frozen beans (for convenience) along with fresh green beans for their great taste and texture.
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas , or chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen baby lima beans , or shelled edamame
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Fill a large bowl half full with ice water and place next to the stove.
- Meanwhile, whisk cider vinegar, rice vinegar, sugar, mustard, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until blended. Add onion and black-eyed peas (or chickpeas); toss to coat.
- Cook lima beans (or edamame) in the boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh in the ice water. Pat dry and add to the bowl.
- Cook green beans in the boiling water until just tender, 3 to 6 minutes. Drain and refresh in the ice water. Pat dry and add to the salad along with parsley; toss well.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cook lima beans and green beans (see Steps 3-4 for timing) and refrigerate separately. Toss the salad components with the dressing just before serving.
Per serving: 109 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 6 g fiber; 322 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (23% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient