This three-bean salad has far less sugar than typical versions. We opt for a combination of canned and frozen beans (for convenience) along with fresh green beans for their great taste and texture.
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas , or chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen baby lima beans , or shelled edamame
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Fill a large bowl half full with ice water and place next to the stove.
- Meanwhile, whisk cider vinegar, rice vinegar, sugar, mustard, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until blended. Add onion and black-eyed peas (or chickpeas); toss to coat.
- Cook lima beans (or edamame) in the boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh in the ice water. Pat dry and add to the bowl.
- Cook green beans in the boiling water until just tender, 3 to 6 minutes. Drain and refresh in the ice water. Pat dry and add to the salad along with parsley; toss well.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cook lima beans and green beans (see Steps 3-4 for timing) and refrigerate separately. Toss the salad components with the dressing just before serving.
Per serving: 109 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 6 g fiber; 322 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (23% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient