This three-bean salad has far less sugar than typical versions. We opt for a combination of canned and frozen beans (for convenience) along with fresh green beans for their great taste and texture.
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas , or chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen baby lima beans , or shelled edamame
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Fill a large bowl half full with ice water and place next to the stove.
- Meanwhile, whisk cider vinegar, rice vinegar, sugar, mustard, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until blended. Add onion and black-eyed peas (or chickpeas); toss to coat.
- Cook lima beans (or edamame) in the boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh in the ice water. Pat dry and add to the bowl.
- Cook green beans in the boiling water until just tender, 3 to 6 minutes. Drain and refresh in the ice water. Pat dry and add to the salad along with parsley; toss well.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cook lima beans and green beans (see Steps 3-4 for timing) and refrigerate separately. Toss the salad components with the dressing just before serving.
Per serving: 109 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 6 g fiber; 322 mg sodium; 381 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (23% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient