hey dose anyone know any good healthy breakfast recipes?
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
A protein and fiber-rich drink to go.
22 Reviews for Thermos-Ready Smoothie
I edited this recipe to cut down on some of the sugar and boost its nutritional index. Instead of 1/2 cup of fruit juice I instead use about 1/3 cup of almond milk, a splash of 100% cranberry juice (adds some tartness that I like), and the juice of one fresh juice orange. I also add in 1 cup of fresh spinach to the mix as well as a dollop of yogurt.
i usually make this with skim milk instead of apple juice and a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder instead of tofu. according to the packages, my "no added sugar" apple juice has 14 g sugar in a 1/2 cup and my mixed berries have 10 g. not sure what the sugar content is in a banana or tofu, but remember none of it is "added" sugar. it is ok to eat a little bit of sugar, it naturally occurs in lots of healthy food.
The great thing about smoothie recipes that you can alter them to your needs and taste. Too much sugar in these bad boys? I would cut out the apple juice and add some low fat vanilla yogurt for texture and taste. Looking to lose weight or sneak in veggies? Invest in a juicer!!!!!!!! I swear it is so important. I hate carrots but I juice one big one and put it in with my smoothie and add some vanilla flavored whey protein. I swear it is delicious. Experiment with frozen fruit. Trust me, no need for sugary juices the fruit will make it nice and sweet and yummy.
This smoothie was good. Swapped out apple juice with 1 cup peanut butter and berries for dark chocolate. I lost weight instantly!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)