The Master Mash
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Mashing blanched garlic into potatoes is a tasty way to add lots of flavor without lots of fat.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (4-6 medium), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or melted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large heavy saucepan. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until very tender, 10 to 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Shake the pan over low heat, uncovered, for about 30 seconds, to evaporate excess moisture.
- Combine buttermilk and oil (or butter) and warm gently in the microwave or on the stovetop. (Do not overheat the buttermilk or it will curdle.)
- Off the heat, mash the potatoes and garlic, adding enough of the buttermilk mixture to make a smooth puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 143 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 692 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1997