The Master Mash
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Mashing blanched garlic into potatoes is a tasty way to add lots of flavor without lots of fat.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (4-6 medium), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or melted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large heavy saucepan. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until very tender, 10 to 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Shake the pan over low heat, uncovered, for about 30 seconds, to evaporate excess moisture.
- Combine buttermilk and oil (or butter) and warm gently in the microwave or on the stovetop. (Do not overheat the buttermilk or it will curdle.)
- Off the heat, mash the potatoes and garlic, adding enough of the buttermilk mixture to make a smooth puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 143 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 692 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1997