The Master Mash
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Mashing blanched garlic into potatoes is a tasty way to add lots of flavor without lots of fat.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (4-6 medium), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or melted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large heavy saucepan. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until very tender, 10 to 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Shake the pan over low heat, uncovered, for about 30 seconds, to evaporate excess moisture.
- Combine buttermilk and oil (or butter) and warm gently in the microwave or on the stovetop. (Do not overheat the buttermilk or it will curdle.)
- Off the heat, mash the potatoes and garlic, adding enough of the buttermilk mixture to make a smooth puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 143 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 692 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1997