The Master Mash
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Mashing blanched garlic into potatoes is a tasty way to add lots of flavor without lots of fat.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (4-6 medium), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or melted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large heavy saucepan. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until very tender, 10 to 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Shake the pan over low heat, uncovered, for about 30 seconds, to evaporate excess moisture.
- Combine buttermilk and oil (or butter) and warm gently in the microwave or on the stovetop. (Do not overheat the buttermilk or it will curdle.)
- Off the heat, mash the potatoes and garlic, adding enough of the buttermilk mixture to make a smooth puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 143 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 692 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 1997