The Master Mash
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Mashing blanched garlic into potatoes is a tasty way to add lots of flavor without lots of fat.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (4-6 medium), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or melted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large heavy saucepan. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until very tender, 10 to 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Shake the pan over low heat, uncovered, for about 30 seconds, to evaporate excess moisture.
- Combine buttermilk and oil (or butter) and warm gently in the microwave or on the stovetop. (Do not overheat the buttermilk or it will curdle.)
- Off the heat, mash the potatoes and garlic, adding enough of the buttermilk mixture to make a smooth puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Per serving: 143 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 692 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)