The Carlsmith Family's Gingerbread Cookies
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
The dough is pleasantly easy to work with for children and parents alike: it won't stick or tear when you roll it out. Dress the finished cookies up with a quick cookie glaze, colored sugars or a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
- 3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in a large bowl. Beat butter, oil and sugar in another large bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg, molasses and vinegar; beat until combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine. The dough will be very soft. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat several baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Working with one portion of dough at a time, on a floured surface, roll the dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut cookies using cookie cutters. Gather scraps and reroll. Using a spatula, place the cookies 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake the cookies, one batch at a time, until puffed but still soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month. | Equipment: Cookie cutters
- Tools for decorating:
- For easy decorating, you'll want to have on hand regular or disposable pastry bags and tips, white and dark chocolate and a variety of cookie cutters, colored sugars and food coloring.
- Cookie decorating items: Kitchen Krafts (www.kitchenkrafts.com, 800-776-0575) has a wide array of cookie cutters, edible glitters, cookie stencils, dragees and sanding sugars. Similar items, as well as toasted coconut and cookie molds, stamps and cutters, can be found in The Baker's Catalogue of King Arthur Flour (www.bakerscatalogue.com, 800-827-6836).
Per cookie: 65 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 41 mg sodium; 62 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)