The Big Salad
Big flavors, big benefits. Loaded with vitamins and minerals, antioxidants and fiber—not to mention color, crunch and great taste—starting a meal with this salad is a healthy habit you could really live with.
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons Mustard-Balsamic Vinaigrette, (recipe follows)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, coarsely chopped
- 12 Kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 12 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Prepare Mustard-Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Combine chickpeas, onion, bell pepper, carrots, cauliflower and olives in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette; toss to coat. Toss greens with the remaining 2 tablespoons vinaigrette in a large bowl. Divide among 6 plates and top with the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with feta and the walnuts. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 210 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 7 g fiber; 393 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (140% dv), Folate (38% dv), Fiber (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient