The Big Salad
Big flavors, big benefits. Loaded with vitamins and minerals, antioxidants and fiber—not to mention color, crunch and great taste—starting a meal with this salad is a healthy habit you could really live with.
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons Mustard-Balsamic Vinaigrette, (recipe follows)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, coarsely chopped
- 12 Kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 12 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Prepare Mustard-Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Combine chickpeas, onion, bell pepper, carrots, cauliflower and olives in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette; toss to coat. Toss greens with the remaining 2 tablespoons vinaigrette in a large bowl. Divide among 6 plates and top with the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with feta and the walnuts. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 210 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 7 g fiber; 393 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (140% dv), Folate (38% dv), Fiber (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient