The Big Salad
Big flavors, big benefits. Loaded with vitamins and minerals, antioxidants and fiber—not to mention color, crunch and great taste—starting a meal with this salad is a healthy habit you could really live with.
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons Mustard-Balsamic Vinaigrette, (recipe follows)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, coarsely chopped
- 12 Kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 12 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Prepare Mustard-Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Combine chickpeas, onion, bell pepper, carrots, cauliflower and olives in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette; toss to coat. Toss greens with the remaining 2 tablespoons vinaigrette in a large bowl. Divide among 6 plates and top with the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with feta and the walnuts. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 210 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 7 g fiber; 393 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (140% dv), Folate (38% dv), Fiber (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient