The Big Salad
Big flavors, big benefits. Loaded with vitamins and minerals, antioxidants and fiber—not to mention color, crunch and great taste—starting a meal with this salad is a healthy habit you could really live with.
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons Mustard-Balsamic Vinaigrette, (recipe follows)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup cauliflower florets, coarsely chopped
- 12 Kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 12 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Prepare Mustard-Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Combine chickpeas, onion, bell pepper, carrots, cauliflower and olives in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette; toss to coat. Toss greens with the remaining 2 tablespoons vinaigrette in a large bowl. Divide among 6 plates and top with the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with feta and the walnuts. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 210 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 7 g fiber; 393 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (140% dv), Folate (38% dv), Fiber (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient