The Best Corn Bread
One of the best things about this corn bread is that it takes only 15 minutes to prepare.
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, egg and oil in a small bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Brush an 8-by-8-inch square cake pan with oil and heat in oven for 5 minutes. Pour the batter into the hot pan and bake until the top springs back when touched lightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on a rack and cut into 9 pieces. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 81 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 297 mg sodium; 50 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique