The Best Corn Bread
One of the best things about this corn bread is that it takes only 15 minutes to prepare.
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, egg and oil in a small bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Brush an 8-by-8-inch square cake pan with oil and heat in oven for 5 minutes. Pour the batter into the hot pan and bake until the top springs back when touched lightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on a rack and cut into 9 pieces. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 81 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 297 mg sodium; 50 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation