The Best Corn Bread
One of the best things about this corn bread is that it takes only 15 minutes to prepare.
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, egg and oil in a small bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Brush an 8-by-8-inch square cake pan with oil and heat in oven for 5 minutes. Pour the batter into the hot pan and bake until the top springs back when touched lightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on a rack and cut into 9 pieces. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 81 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 297 mg sodium; 50 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation