Thai Rice Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This quick rice pilaf recipe gets bright flavor from Thai-inspired ingredients: lime juice, fish sauce, peanuts and plenty of fresh herbs. Serve it with roast pork tenderloin or pan-seared fish.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup chopped pineapple, fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, cilantro and/or mint
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsalted peanuts
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit until the water is all or mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes more. Drain any remaining water.
- Meanwhile, stir lime juice, oil, fish sauce, sugar and crushed red pepper together in a medium bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir the rice, pineapple, carrot, herbs and scallions into the dressing. Sprinkle with peanuts.
Per serving: 175 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 206 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (62% daily value), Vitamin C (42% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- January/February 2014