Thai Rice Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This quick rice pilaf recipe gets bright flavor from Thai-inspired ingredients: lime juice, fish sauce, peanuts and plenty of fresh herbs. Serve it with roast pork tenderloin or pan-seared fish.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup chopped pineapple, fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, cilantro and/or mint
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsalted peanuts
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit until the water is all or mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes more. Drain any remaining water.
- Meanwhile, stir lime juice, oil, fish sauce, sugar and crushed red pepper together in a medium bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir the rice, pineapple, carrot, herbs and scallions into the dressing. Sprinkle with peanuts.
Per serving: 175 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 206 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (62% daily value), Vitamin C (42% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2014