Thai Rice Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This quick rice pilaf recipe gets bright flavor from Thai-inspired ingredients: lime juice, fish sauce, peanuts and plenty of fresh herbs. Serve it with roast pork tenderloin or pan-seared fish.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup chopped pineapple, fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, cilantro and/or mint
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsalted peanuts
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit until the water is all or mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes more. Drain any remaining water.
- Meanwhile, stir lime juice, oil, fish sauce, sugar and crushed red pepper together in a medium bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir the rice, pineapple, carrot, herbs and scallions into the dressing. Sprinkle with peanuts.
Per serving: 175 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 206 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (62% daily value), Vitamin C (42% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- January/February 2014