Thai Rice Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This quick rice pilaf recipe gets bright flavor from Thai-inspired ingredients: lime juice, fish sauce, peanuts and plenty of fresh herbs. Serve it with roast pork tenderloin or pan-seared fish.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup chopped pineapple, fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, cilantro and/or mint
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsalted peanuts
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit until the water is all or mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes more. Drain any remaining water.
- Meanwhile, stir lime juice, oil, fish sauce, sugar and crushed red pepper together in a medium bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir the rice, pineapple, carrot, herbs and scallions into the dressing. Sprinkle with peanuts.
Per serving: 175 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 206 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (62% daily value), Vitamin C (42% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- January/February 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)