Thai Rice Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This quick rice pilaf recipe gets bright flavor from Thai-inspired ingredients: lime juice, fish sauce, peanuts and plenty of fresh herbs. Serve it with roast pork tenderloin or pan-seared fish.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup chopped pineapple, fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, cilantro and/or mint
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsalted peanuts
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit until the water is all or mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes more. Drain any remaining water.
- Meanwhile, stir lime juice, oil, fish sauce, sugar and crushed red pepper together in a medium bowl until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir the rice, pineapple, carrot, herbs and scallions into the dressing. Sprinkle with peanuts.
Per serving: 175 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 206 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (62% daily value), Vitamin C (42% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- January/February 2014