Thai Grilled Chicken & Broccoli on Napa Cabbage
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Fish sauce (nam pla) and hot chile sauce are available in Asian markets and many large supermarkets.
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, (nam pla)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemongrass, or 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons Thai hot chile sauce, or chile-garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken tenders, tendons removed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt, to taste
- 8 ounces broccoli florets
- 6 thick scallions, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 4 cups shredded napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced radishes
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
- Whisk together broth, lemon juice, fish sauce, lemongrass or lemon zest, chile sauce or paste, honey, ginger, garlic, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil in a small bowl. Pour about half of this marinade into a shallow dish just large enough to hold chicken. Add the chicken, stirring to coat. Whisk the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil into the remaining marinade and season with salt to use as salad dressing. Cover the chicken and the dressing and refrigerate for 1 hour, stirring the chicken once or twice.
- Prepare a medium-hot barbecue fire or preheat a gas grill. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Add broccoli and scallions to the dish, turning to coat with the marinade. On 4 long or 8 short skewers, alternate the broccoli, scallions and chicken. Grill, turning once or twice, until the chicken is browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Toss cabbage in a bowl with all but 1 tablespoon of the reserved dressing. Transfer to a serving platter and arrange the skewers on top. Drizzle with the remaining dressing. Garnish with cucumber slices, radishes and chopped peanuts.
Tips & Notes
- Fish sauce (nam pla) and hot chile sauce are available in Asian markets and many large supermarkets, or they can be ordered by mail from Anzen Importers, 736 N.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Portland, OR 97232, (503) 233-5111.
Per serving: 221 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 405 mg sodium; 374 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Vitamin A (46% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)