Thai Green Curry with Duck
Thai green curry paste is a quick trick for turning a simple dish into an exotic concoction. Go easy on the spice mixture at first--it's kickin' hot. Once you get the hang of it, you can adjust it to your taste. Make It a Meal: Enjoy this saucy curry with rice noodles or brown basmati rice and a glass of sparkling wine.
- 12 ounces boneless duck breast, (see Ingredient notes, below), skin removed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound eggplant, diced
- 2 bell peppers, red and/or yellow, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup “lite” coconut milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste, (see Ingredient notes)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, (see Ingredient notes), optional
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- Cut duck breast crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large straight-sided skillet over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Cook the duck, in a single layer, stirring once, until beginning to brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add eggplant, bell peppers, coconut milk, broth, brown sugar, curry paste, fish sauce (if using) and lime juice to the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Return the duck to the pan; stir to coat with the sauce and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in basil and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Notes: Boneless duck breast halves range widely in weight, from about 1/2 to 1 pound, depending on the breed of duck. They can be found in most supermarkets in the poultry or specialty-meat sections or online at www.mapleleaffarms.com or www.dartagnan.com.
- Green curry paste: A fiery and moist mixture of green chiles and Thai seasonings, such as lemongrass and galangal, is available in the Asian section of large supermarkets. Red curry paste can be substituted.
- Fish sauce: A pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. Found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets.
Per serving: 273 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 103 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 7 g fiber; 200 mg sodium; 650 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (480% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 other carb, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)