Thai Chicken Stir-Fry with Basil & Cashews
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
This quick chicken stir-fry recipe is flavored with classic Thai ingredients: savory fish sauce balanced with tangy lime juice and plenty of fresh basil. Have all the ingredients prepared and ready to add to the wok before you turn on the heat. Serve with brown rice.
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 small fresh red chiles, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil, preferably Thai
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, flat-bottom, carbon-steel wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, scallions and chiles (if using); cook, stirring, until the scallions start to soften, about 30 seconds. Add garlic and zucchini and cook, stirring, until the zucchini is just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk fish sauce, lime juice, molasses and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir the sauce and the chicken (along with any accumulated juice) into the pan; cook, gently stirring, until the sauce is bubbling and thickened, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in cashews and basil.
Per serving: 329 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 664 mg sodium; 649 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (37% daily value), Magnesium (24% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- May/June 2014