Thai Beef Salad
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
The steak for a Thai salad is often marinated before it's broiled and that's a shame, because most of those flavorings burn off and turn to naught. For the best taste, first sear the steak, then let it sit overnight in the marinade before tossing it with the greens.
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of visible fat
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups torn frisée, or curly endive
- 2 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons untoasted sesame oil, or canola oil
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Rub steak all over with soy sauce and black pepper. Place on a baking sheet; broil, turning once, 14 to 16 minutes for medium-rare to medium, respectively. Let rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix scallions, lime zest and juice, fish sauce, sugar and crushed red pepper in a shallow dish. Slice the steak into thin strips against the grain and cut each strip into bite-size pieces. Add the steak to the marinade, along with any accumulated juices; toss well, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Place frisée (or endive), lettuce and mint in a salad bowl. Add the steak and marinade, drizzle with oil, gently toss, and serve.
Per serving: 230 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 455 mg sodium; 525 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Folate (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Make ahead instructions
- April/May 2005