Thai Beef Salad
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
The steak for a Thai salad is often marinated before it's broiled and that's a shame, because most of those flavorings burn off and turn to naught. For the best taste, first sear the steak, then let it sit overnight in the marinade before tossing it with the greens.
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of visible fat
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups torn frisée, or curly endive
- 2 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons untoasted sesame oil, or canola oil
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Rub steak all over with soy sauce and black pepper. Place on a baking sheet; broil, turning once, 14 to 16 minutes for medium-rare to medium, respectively. Let rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix scallions, lime zest and juice, fish sauce, sugar and crushed red pepper in a shallow dish. Slice the steak into thin strips against the grain and cut each strip into bite-size pieces. Add the steak to the marinade, along with any accumulated juices; toss well, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Place frisée (or endive), lettuce and mint in a salad bowl. Add the steak and marinade, drizzle with oil, gently toss, and serve.
Per serving: 230 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 455 mg sodium; 525 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Folate (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- April/May 2005