Thai Beef Salad
From EatingWell: April/May 2005
The steak for a Thai salad is often marinated before it's broiled and that's a shame, because most of those flavorings burn off and turn to naught. For the best taste, first sear the steak, then let it sit overnight in the marinade before tossing it with the greens.
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of visible fat
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups torn frisée, or curly endive
- 2 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons untoasted sesame oil, or canola oil
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Rub steak all over with soy sauce and black pepper. Place on a baking sheet; broil, turning once, 14 to 16 minutes for medium-rare to medium, respectively. Let rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix scallions, lime zest and juice, fish sauce, sugar and crushed red pepper in a shallow dish. Slice the steak into thin strips against the grain and cut each strip into bite-size pieces. Add the steak to the marinade, along with any accumulated juices; toss well, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Place frisée (or endive), lettuce and mint in a salad bowl. Add the steak and marinade, drizzle with oil, gently toss, and serve.
Per serving: 230 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 455 mg sodium; 525 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Folate (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- April/May 2005