Thai Beef Salad
The hot-and-sour dressing has an exotic flavor, yet has just a few ingredients.
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 3/4 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of fat and thinly sliced
- 3 jalapeno or serrano chili peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 orange, peeled and white pith removed, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Stir together fish sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar in a small bowl. Arrange lettuce on a platter or individual plates.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir-fry beef, in batches, until browned on the outside and still pink inside, about 1 minute per batch. Spoon over the lettuce.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and cook chili peppers, onions and garlic, stirring occaccsionally, until softened, about 1 minute. Add the fish-sauce (or soy-sauce) mixture and bring to a boil, stirring. Remove from the heat and stir in orange and cilantro. Spoon over the lettuce and beef, sprinkle peanuts over top and serve warm.
Per serving: 230 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 455 mg sodium; 525 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique