Thai Beef Salad
The hot-and-sour dressing has an exotic flavor, yet has just a few ingredients.
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 3/4 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of fat and thinly sliced
- 3 jalapeno or serrano chili peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 orange, peeled and white pith removed, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Stir together fish sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar in a small bowl. Arrange lettuce on a platter or individual plates.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir-fry beef, in batches, until browned on the outside and still pink inside, about 1 minute per batch. Spoon over the lettuce.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and cook chili peppers, onions and garlic, stirring occaccsionally, until softened, about 1 minute. Add the fish-sauce (or soy-sauce) mixture and bring to a boil, stirring. Remove from the heat and stir in orange and cilantro. Spoon over the lettuce and beef, sprinkle peanuts over top and serve warm.
Per serving: 230 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 455 mg sodium; 525 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique