Thai Beef Salad
The hot-and-sour dressing has an exotic flavor, yet has just a few ingredients.
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 3/4 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of fat and thinly sliced
- 3 jalapeno or serrano chili peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 orange, peeled and white pith removed, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Stir together fish sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar in a small bowl. Arrange lettuce on a platter or individual plates.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir-fry beef, in batches, until browned on the outside and still pink inside, about 1 minute per batch. Spoon over the lettuce.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and cook chili peppers, onions and garlic, stirring occaccsionally, until softened, about 1 minute. Add the fish-sauce (or soy-sauce) mixture and bring to a boil, stirring. Remove from the heat and stir in orange and cilantro. Spoon over the lettuce and beef, sprinkle peanuts over top and serve warm.
Per serving: 230 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 455 mg sodium; 525 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual