Thai Beef Salad
The hot-and-sour dressing has an exotic flavor, yet has just a few ingredients.
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 3/4 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of fat and thinly sliced
- 3 jalapeno or serrano chili peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 orange, peeled and white pith removed, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Stir together fish sauce (or soy sauce) and brown sugar in a small bowl. Arrange lettuce on a platter or individual plates.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir-fry beef, in batches, until browned on the outside and still pink inside, about 1 minute per batch. Spoon over the lettuce.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and cook chili peppers, onions and garlic, stirring occaccsionally, until softened, about 1 minute. Add the fish-sauce (or soy-sauce) mixture and bring to a boil, stirring. Remove from the heat and stir in orange and cilantro. Spoon over the lettuce and beef, sprinkle peanuts over top and serve warm.
Per serving: 230 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 455 mg sodium; 525 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual