Tex-Mex Taco Salad
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
This version of the chain-restaurant favorite has fresh flavors and a healthy nutritional profile. Vary the heat by varying the type of salsa you use. Baked corn tortilla chips and lime wedges are natural accompaniments.
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 large plum tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed (see Tips for Two)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Combine salsa and sour cream in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add beef (or turkey) and cook, stirring often, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomato, beans, cumin, chili powder and salt; cook, stirring, until the tomato begins to break down, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in cilantro and 2 tablespoons of the salsa mixture.
- Add lettuce to the remaining salsa mixture and toss to coat. Divide the lettuce between 2 plates, top with the cooked meat and sprinkle with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Refrigerate leftover beans for up to 3 days. Toss with a green salad or into soup for extra protein; mash with garlic powder and chopped fresh herbs for a quick dip.
Per serving: 343 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 8 g fiber; 851 mg sodium; 737 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (150% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Zinc (30% dv), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (21% dv).
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two