Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole
Chiles and cheese turn mild summer squash into a zesty, satisfying casserole. The jalapenos make this dish quite hot; if you prefer a milder version, use a second can of diced green chiles instead.
- 2 1/4 pounds summer squash, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise (about 10 cups)
- 2/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 4-1/2-ounce can chopped jalapenos, (about 1/2 cup), drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 1/4 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, (about 7 ounces), divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup mild salsa
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine squash, onion, chiles, jalapenos, salt and 3/4 cup cheese in a large bowl. Sprinkle with flour; toss to coat. Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake the casserole until it is bubbling and the squash is tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Spoon salsa over the casserole and sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese. Bake, uncovered, until golden and heated through, 20 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with scallions and red onion.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat, covered, at 350°F for about 40 minutes. Garnish just before serving.
Per serving: 101 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 265 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique