Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole
Chiles and cheese turn mild summer squash into a zesty, satisfying casserole. The jalapenos make this dish quite hot; if you prefer a milder version, use a second can of diced green chiles instead.
- 2 1/4 pounds summer squash, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise (about 10 cups)
- 2/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 4-1/2-ounce can chopped jalapenos, (about 1/2 cup), drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 1/4 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, (about 7 ounces), divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup mild salsa
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine squash, onion, chiles, jalapenos, salt and 3/4 cup cheese in a large bowl. Sprinkle with flour; toss to coat. Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake the casserole until it is bubbling and the squash is tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Spoon salsa over the casserole and sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese. Bake, uncovered, until golden and heated through, 20 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle with scallions and red onion.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat, covered, at 350°F for about 40 minutes. Garnish just before serving.
Per serving: 101 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 265 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique