Tex-Mex Stuffed Potatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Stuffed baked potatoes are a great family-friendly weeknight supper. Here we stuff them with fresh cilantro, salsa and Jack cheese for lots of flavor and cook them in the microwave to make them quick and easy. Make it a meal: Round out the meal with Orange & Avocado Salad.
- 4 baking potatoes, (1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons prepared tomato salsa
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Monterey Jack, or sharp Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and wrap individually in a double thickness of paper towels. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Rotate the potatoes and microwave on high until tender, about 5 minutes more. Unwrap the potatoes and let cool slightly.
- Cut off a 1/4-inch-thick slice along the top of each potato. Carefully hollow out the potatoes with a melon baller or teaspoon, leaving the shells. Put the insides in a medium bowl, and mash with a fork or potato masher. Add sour cream, buttermilk, cilantro and salsa; mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Fill the shells with the potato mixture. Arrange the potatoes in a microwave-safe pie plate or baking dish. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on High until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the potatoes with cheese and serve.
Per serving: 128 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 231 mg sodium; 737 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Potassium (21% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 high fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- July/August 1994