Tex-Mex Stuffed Potatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Stuffed baked potatoes are a great family-friendly weeknight supper. Here we stuff them with fresh cilantro, salsa and Jack cheese for lots of flavor and cook them in the microwave to make them quick and easy. Make it a meal: Round out the meal with Orange & Avocado Salad.
- 4 baking potatoes, (1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons prepared tomato salsa
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Monterey Jack, or sharp Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and wrap individually in a double thickness of paper towels. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Rotate the potatoes and microwave on high until tender, about 5 minutes more. Unwrap the potatoes and let cool slightly.
- Cut off a 1/4-inch-thick slice along the top of each potato. Carefully hollow out the potatoes with a melon baller or teaspoon, leaving the shells. Put the insides in a medium bowl, and mash with a fork or potato masher. Add sour cream, buttermilk, cilantro and salsa; mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Fill the shells with the potato mixture. Arrange the potatoes in a microwave-safe pie plate or baking dish. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on High until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the potatoes with cheese and serve.
Per serving: 128 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 231 mg sodium; 737 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Potassium (21% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 high fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)