Tex-Mex Stuffed Potatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Stuffed baked potatoes are a great family-friendly weeknight supper. Here we stuff them with fresh cilantro, salsa and Jack cheese for lots of flavor and cook them in the microwave to make them quick and easy. Make it a meal: Round out the meal with Orange & Avocado Salad.
- 4 baking potatoes, (1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons prepared tomato salsa
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Monterey Jack, or sharp Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and wrap individually in a double thickness of paper towels. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Rotate the potatoes and microwave on high until tender, about 5 minutes more. Unwrap the potatoes and let cool slightly.
- Cut off a 1/4-inch-thick slice along the top of each potato. Carefully hollow out the potatoes with a melon baller or teaspoon, leaving the shells. Put the insides in a medium bowl, and mash with a fork or potato masher. Add sour cream, buttermilk, cilantro and salsa; mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Fill the shells with the potato mixture. Arrange the potatoes in a microwave-safe pie plate or baking dish. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on High until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the potatoes with cheese and serve.
Per serving: 128 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 231 mg sodium; 737 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Potassium (21% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 high fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994