Tex-Mex Stuffed Potatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Stuffed baked potatoes are a great family-friendly weeknight supper. Here we stuff them with fresh cilantro, salsa and Jack cheese for lots of flavor and cook them in the microwave to make them quick and easy. Make it a meal: Round out the meal with Orange & Avocado Salad.
- 4 baking potatoes, (1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons prepared tomato salsa
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Monterey Jack, or sharp Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and wrap individually in a double thickness of paper towels. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Rotate the potatoes and microwave on high until tender, about 5 minutes more. Unwrap the potatoes and let cool slightly.
- Cut off a 1/4-inch-thick slice along the top of each potato. Carefully hollow out the potatoes with a melon baller or teaspoon, leaving the shells. Put the insides in a medium bowl, and mash with a fork or potato masher. Add sour cream, buttermilk, cilantro and salsa; mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Fill the shells with the potato mixture. Arrange the potatoes in a microwave-safe pie plate or baking dish. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on High until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the potatoes with cheese and serve.
Per serving: 128 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 231 mg sodium; 737 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Potassium (21% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 high fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994