Tex-Mex Stuffed Potatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Stuffed baked potatoes are a great family-friendly weeknight supper. Here we stuff them with fresh cilantro, salsa and Jack cheese for lots of flavor and cook them in the microwave to make them quick and easy. Make it a meal: Round out the meal with Orange & Avocado Salad.
- 4 baking potatoes, (1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons prepared tomato salsa
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Monterey Jack, or sharp Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and wrap individually in a double thickness of paper towels. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Rotate the potatoes and microwave on high until tender, about 5 minutes more. Unwrap the potatoes and let cool slightly.
- Cut off a 1/4-inch-thick slice along the top of each potato. Carefully hollow out the potatoes with a melon baller or teaspoon, leaving the shells. Put the insides in a medium bowl, and mash with a fork or potato masher. Add sour cream, buttermilk, cilantro and salsa; mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Fill the shells with the potato mixture. Arrange the potatoes in a microwave-safe pie plate or baking dish. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on High until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the potatoes with cheese and serve.
Per serving: 128 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 231 mg sodium; 737 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Potassium (21% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 high fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994