From EatingWell: May/June 1992
With the Mexican flavors of cilantro, jalapeño peppers and jack cheese, this pizza tastes like an open-faced quesadilla.
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal for dusting pizza peel
- 4 cups sliced plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons minced, seeded jalapeno pepper, or to taste (about 3 peppers)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or highest oven setting.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, roll out with a rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or an inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Arrange 1/2 cup tomatoes over each round of dough. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon jalapeños and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over the top.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings. Before serving, sprinkle each pizza with 1 teaspoon cilantro.
Per serving: 201 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 242 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Folate (26% dv). Selenium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- May/June 1992