From EatingWell: May/June 1992
With the Mexican flavors of cilantro, jalapeño peppers and jack cheese, this pizza tastes like an open-faced quesadilla.
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal for dusting pizza peel
- 4 cups sliced plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons minced, seeded jalapeno pepper, or to taste (about 3 peppers)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or highest oven setting.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, roll out with a rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or an inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Arrange 1/2 cup tomatoes over each round of dough. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon jalapeños and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over the top.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings. Before serving, sprinkle each pizza with 1 teaspoon cilantro.
Per serving: 201 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 242 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Folate (26% dv). Selenium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- May/June 1992