From EatingWell: May/June 1992
With the Mexican flavors of cilantro, jalapeño peppers and jack cheese, this pizza tastes like an open-faced quesadilla.
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal for dusting pizza peel
- 4 cups sliced plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons minced, seeded jalapeno pepper, or to taste (about 3 peppers)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or highest oven setting.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, roll out with a rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or an inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Arrange 1/2 cup tomatoes over each round of dough. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon jalapeños and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over the top.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings. Before serving, sprinkle each pizza with 1 teaspoon cilantro.
Per serving: 201 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 242 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Folate (26% dv). Selenium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- May/June 1992