From EatingWell: May/June 1992
With the Mexican flavors of cilantro, jalapeño peppers and jack cheese, this pizza tastes like an open-faced quesadilla.
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal for dusting pizza peel
- 4 cups sliced plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons minced, seeded jalapeno pepper, or to taste (about 3 peppers)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or highest oven setting.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, roll out with a rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or an inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Arrange 1/2 cup tomatoes over each round of dough. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon jalapeños and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over the top.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings. Before serving, sprinkle each pizza with 1 teaspoon cilantro.
Per serving: 201 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 242 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Folate (26% dv). Selenium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992