From EatingWell: May/June 1992
With the Mexican flavors of cilantro, jalapeño peppers and jack cheese, this pizza tastes like an open-faced quesadilla.
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal for dusting pizza peel
- 4 cups sliced plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons minced, seeded jalapeno pepper, or to taste (about 3 peppers)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or highest oven setting.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, roll out with a rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or an inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Arrange 1/2 cup tomatoes over each round of dough. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon jalapeños and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over the top.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings. Before serving, sprinkle each pizza with 1 teaspoon cilantro.
Per serving: 201 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 242 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Folate (26% dv). Selenium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 1992