Tex-Mex Black Bean & Quinoa Bowl
From EatingWell: March/April 2015
Skip the tortillas and layer your taco fillings onto protein-rich quinoa in this healthy vegetarian bowl dinner recipe. Top with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and a splash of your favorite hot sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 1/2 cups very thinly sliced cabbage (about 1/4 medium head)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in cumin. Partially cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add cabbage and onion; toss to coat.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add poblano and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in beans and chili powder; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- To serve, layer in each bowl: 3/4 cup quinoa, 1/2 cup bean mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Top each portion with 3/4 cup cabbage salad and 2 tablespoons salsa.
Per serving: 478 calories; 22 g fat (8 g sat, 11 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g total sugars; 20 g protein; 12 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 833 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (95% daily value), Folate (43% dv), Calcium (31% dv), Magnesium (29% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv), Zinc (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2015