Tequila-Spiked Pan Gravy
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
A somewhat more traditional alternative—or addition—to the Cranberry Mole, this quick pan gravy repeats the Southwestern-inspired flavors of fresh sage and tequila.
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- After removing the turkey from the roasting pan, pour any pan juices and fat into a glass measuring cup and place in the freezer so the fat will rise to the top, about 20 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup chicken broth and flour in a small bowl; whisk until smooth.
- Set the roasting pan over two burners on medium-high heat. Add tequila, bring to a boil and cook, whisking and scraping up the brown bits from the pan, until the tequila is slightly reduced, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the remaining broth to the roasting pan and return to a boil, whisking often and scraping up any remaining brown bits.
- Skim fat from the chilled pan juices; add the juices plus the reserved broth-and-flour mixture to the roasting pan. Boil, whisking constantly, until a gravy forms, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour through a fine sieve into a gravy boat; stir in sage and season with pepper.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 45 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 31 mg sodium; 1 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- October/November 2005