Tequila-Spiked Pan Gravy
From EatingWell: October/November 2005
A somewhat more traditional alternative—or addition—to the Cranberry Mole, this quick pan gravy repeats the Southwestern-inspired flavors of fresh sage and tequila.
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- After removing the turkey from the roasting pan, pour any pan juices and fat into a glass measuring cup and place in the freezer so the fat will rise to the top, about 20 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup chicken broth and flour in a small bowl; whisk until smooth.
- Set the roasting pan over two burners on medium-high heat. Add tequila, bring to a boil and cook, whisking and scraping up the brown bits from the pan, until the tequila is slightly reduced, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the remaining broth to the roasting pan and return to a boil, whisking often and scraping up any remaining brown bits.
- Skim fat from the chilled pan juices; add the juices plus the reserved broth-and-flour mixture to the roasting pan. Boil, whisking constantly, until a gravy forms, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour through a fine sieve into a gravy boat; stir in sage and season with pepper.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 45 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 31 mg sodium; 1 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- October/November 2005
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)