Tea Trade Chicken
Having a well-stocked spice pantry pays off in this sophisticated dish; just stop at the store for the chicken and bell pepper. Serve braised bok choy and brown basmati rice alongside.
- 1/4 cup rice wine, or dry sherry (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons strong-brewed black tea
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened orange juice, or pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat (8 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Combine rice wine (or sherry), tea, juice, soy sauce and honey in a small bowl.
- Combine cinnamon, ginger, pepper and salt in a small bowl. Rub spices evenly on both sides of chicken.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and reduce heat to medium. Cook until the chicken is golden outside and no longer pink in the middle, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Increase heat to high and add the reserved rice wine-tea mixture. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Simmer gently, spooning sauce over chicken, until heated through, about 1 minute.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Notes: Sake is a dry rice wine generally available where wines are sold. Junmai, a special designation for sake, denotes sake brewed from rice that has been milled less than other special-designation sakes. More pure than other sakes, junmai has no distilled alcohol added. It is characterized by a well-rounded, rich flavor and body and more acidity than most sakes.
- Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the "cooking sherry" sold in many supermarkets — it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 238 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 469 mg sodium; 296 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Selenium (30% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)