Lower in fat and higher in flavor than the bottled kind, this tartar sauce is well worth the 10 minutes it takes to make.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 cornichon, or sour gherkin pickle, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine mayonnaise, cornichon (or sour gherkin pickle), shallots, anchovy, capers, tarragon and parsley in a small bowl. Stir in lemon juice and pepper.
Per tablespoon: 42 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 178 mg sodium; 16 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique