Lower in fat and higher in flavor than the bottled kind, this tartar sauce is well worth the 10 minutes it takes to make.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 cornichon, or sour gherkin pickle, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine mayonnaise, cornichon (or sour gherkin pickle), shallots, anchovy, capers, tarragon and parsley in a small bowl. Stir in lemon juice and pepper.
Per tablespoon: 42 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 178 mg sodium; 16 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique