Lower in fat and higher in flavor than the bottled kind, this tartar sauce is well worth the 10 minutes it takes to make.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 cornichon, or sour gherkin pickle, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine mayonnaise, cornichon (or sour gherkin pickle), shallots, anchovy, capers, tarragon and parsley in a small bowl. Stir in lemon juice and pepper.
Per tablespoon: 42 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 178 mg sodium; 16 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique