This creamy sauce is a classic with chicken - and while tarragon is the traditional herb, thyme or rosemary would also work beautifully. Serve with sauteed string beans and wild rice.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Season chicken on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add shallots; cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and wine and bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Stir mustard, sour cream and tarragon into sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon over the chicken.
Per serving: 199 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 316 mg sodium; 262 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry