Tapenade with Crostini
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Along the French Riviera, this black-olive spread invariably contains an anchovy or two, but you may do without.
- 1 cup black olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rum, or brandy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 anchovy fillet, rinsed (optional)
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2-1 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small French baguette, or loaf of Italian bread
- Combine olives, capers, rum (or brandy), oil, thyme, anchovy (if using), garlic and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. Add breadcrumbs and pulse just until mixed. Season with pepper and additional lemon juice, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice bread diagonally into rounds about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until just beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Spread tapenade on crostini just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the tapenade (Step 1) for up to 1 week. The crostini (Steps 2-3) may be baked several hours in advance, allowed to cool to room temperature, then wrapped and stored at room temperature.
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 30 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1995