Tapenade with Crostini
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Along the French Riviera, this black-olive spread invariably contains an anchovy or two, but you may do without.
- 1 cup black olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rum, or brandy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 anchovy fillet, rinsed (optional)
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2-1 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small French baguette, or loaf of Italian bread
- Combine olives, capers, rum (or brandy), oil, thyme, anchovy (if using), garlic and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. Add breadcrumbs and pulse just until mixed. Season with pepper and additional lemon juice, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice bread diagonally into rounds about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until just beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Spread tapenade on crostini just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the tapenade (Step 1) for up to 1 week. The crostini (Steps 2-3) may be baked several hours in advance, allowed to cool to room temperature, then wrapped and stored at room temperature.
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 30 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995